Fancy some apple crumble? I made some the other night with Maggie Beer’s recipe. This time the apples are much more softer than my previous one!
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples into wedges and place in a medium saucepan.
3. Add the lemon zest, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon sticks and Verjuice. Bring to a gentle simmer, and continue to cook until tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes). Check to see that apple wedges are cooked through.
4. Remove the apples from the saucepan, discarding the cinnamon and lemon zest, and arrange in the base of an oven proof dish.
TO MAKE THE CRUMBLE:
5. Mix together the brown sugar, wholemeal flour, oats and ground cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
6. Using a vegetable grater, grate the butter onto the flour mixture, and incorporate using the tips of your fingers until mixed like course breadcrumbs.
7. Top the apples with the crumble mixture and bake in the oven preheated for 30 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown.
8. Allow to cool slightly then serve with Vanilla Bean and Elderflower Ice Cream or runny cream.